Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Donald Trump and the Pursuit of Success
by Michael D'Antonio
(Click for Amazon book review)
Click here for 30 full quotes from Donald Trump in the book Never Enough, by Michael D'Antonio.
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
BOOK REVIEW by OnTheIssues.org:
This book is a solid biography of Donald Trump, written in anticipation of the 2016 presidential race. But because Trump was never a serious politician prior to 2015, there's just not a lot of political detail here. It does include a thoroughly-researched history of Trump's business dealings as well as his personal life.
Sometimes that thoroughly-researched history is too much for political purposes. In particular:
- Enormous detail about the NYC construction industry (p. 91)
- Enormous detail about "the fiscal crisis" -- no, not the 2008 crisis, but the 1970s NYC fiscal crisis
- Enormous detail about Fred Trump, Donald's real estate magnate father
- Enormous detail about Roy Cohn, who died of AIDS in 1986, and was Donald Trump's lawyer
- Enormous detail about Abe Beame, the mayor of NYC when Trump was building his real estate empire
- Enormous detail about the history of racism and gentrification of housing in the 1960s (pp. 66-7), and Trump's later role
- Enormous detail about the source of "birtherism" before Trump (and then Trump's involvement too)
Those last two do have SOME political implications (see our excerpts) but the rest provide much more background than most 2016 voters will care about. Nevertheless, this is the first serious political biography of Trump, and deserves to be read by pro-Trump voters and anti-Trump voters. Perhaps skimming the sections above -- or just reading our excerpts.
-- Jesse Gordon, jesse@OnTheIssues.org, February 2016
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Sought NYC deal with $4M property tax break.
OpEd: "bigotry" was more like racial insensitivity.
Well-educated blacks have advantage over whites.
1989 full-page newspaper ads: "Bring Back the Death Penalty".
1991: Illicit drugs should be decriminalized.
Energy & Oil|
Wind energy projects are industrial monstrosities.
Offered to oversee response to 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
Offered himself as Cold War nuclear-arms-treaty negotiator.
Criticizes immunizations for children, and other science.
Shifted from favoring universal care to opposing ObamaCare.
Ebola virus in America is Obama's fault.
Stockpile treatments against future pandemics & bioterrorism.
Opposed gay marriage but supported gays serving in military.
1965: opposed Vietnam War but never joined protests.
1969: Drew high draft lottery number, and never got drafted.
Vietnam war was mistake; I'm grateful that I stayed civilian.
Bush should have caught Osama bin Laden.
Opposed to casinos on Indian reservations.
Principles & Values|
A germophobe: constantly washes hands; dislikes handshakes.
2011: Obama's birth certificate is hiding something.
Birtherism: demanded that Obama produce birth certificate.
OpEd: Obama's grandmother never said he was born in Kenya.
OpEd: Obama doesn't have the psychology of a winner.
OpEd: Lifelong dance of mutual manipulation with the press.
Sent to military academy because of childhood rebelliousness.
People want positive inspiration.
I've always been rebellious and very set in my ways.
OpEd: One-time wealth tax could cause stock market collapse.
Welfare & Poverty|
OpEd:"dog-whistle" racist language links "welfare" & "black".
Sought to exclude welfare recipients from his residences.
The above quotations are from Never Enough
Donald Trump and the Pursuit of Success
by Michael D'Antonio.
2016 Presidential debates
- Third Presidential debate Oct. 19, 2016
- Second Presidential debate Oct. 9, 2016
- Vice Presidential debate Oct. 4, 2016
- First Presidential debate Sept. 26, 2016
Recent books by Primary contenders:
- Crippled America, by Donald J. Trump
- Outsider in the White House, by Bernie Sanders
- Never Enough: Trump and the Pursuit of Success, by Michael D'Antonio
- Excerpts from FeelTheBern.org, grassroots presidential campaign website
- Playing Bigger, Intro by Bernie Sanders
- Milk Money, Intro by Bernie Sanders
- American Dynasty: The House of Bush, by Kevin Phillips
- Bella's Gift, by Sen. Rick Santorum (R, PA)
- One Nation, by Ben Carson (R, MD)
- American Dreams, by Sen. Marco Rubio (R, FL)
- God, Guns, Grits, and Gravy, by Gov. Mike Huckabee (R, AR)
- Think Like a Champion, by CEO Donald Trump (R, NY)
- Tough Choices, by CEO Carly Fiorina (R, CA)
- Blue Collar Conservatives, by Sen. Rick Santorum (R, PA)
- The Way Forward, by Rep. Paul Ryan (R, WI)
- Unintimidated, by Gov. Scott Walker (R, WI)
- Outsider in the House, by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I, VT)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- All Things Possible, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D, NY)
- Take the Risk, by Dr. Ben Carson (R, MD)
- American Enterprise Institute columns, by Amb. John Bolton
- Obama is Endangering our Sovereignty, by John Bolton
- Surrender is Not an Option, by John Bolton
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Sen. Rand Paul
- Chris Christie: The Inside Story of His Rise to Power
- Teachers Under Attack, biography of Chris Christie
- The Jersey Sting, biography of Chris Christie
- Young Guns, by Rep. Paul Ryan
- What Will It Take to Make A Woman President?, by Marianne Schnall
- A More Perfect Unison, by Dr. Ben Carson
- One Vote, by Dr. Ben Carson
- In Harms Way, by Jill Stein
- Quotations from Speaker Newt, by Newt Gingrich
- The Two-Income Trap, by Elizabeth Warren