Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2008-2011 Mayoral State of the City addresses
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2008-2011 Mayoral State of the City addresses (number of quotes indicated):
- Annise Parker (4) Texas Mayor of Houston
- Bill de Blasio (16) New York Democratic primary candidate and NYC mayor
- Chris Coleman (2) Minnesota DFL
- Cory Booker (11) New Jersey Mayor of Newark; N.J. Senator
- Mark Begich (4) Alaska Democratic candidate for governor
- Mike Bloomberg (7) New York Mayor of NYC
- Phil Gordon (1) Arizona Mayor of Phoenix
- Rocky Anderson (2) Utah Justice Party challenger for President
- Rudy Giuliani (12) New York Former Mayor of NYC
- Tom Menino (3) Massachusetts Mayor of Boston
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Tom Menino: One-year wage freeze for city workers, so no service cuts.
Mark Begich: Closed $33M budget gap without using one-time reserves.
Cory Booker: Budget crisis: cut $60M in spending; cut municipal taxes.
Rocky Anderson: Persistent fiscal responsibility to balance budget.
Rudy Giuliani: Economic development requires maintenance.
Cory Booker: Supports Women, Minority and Small Business Assistance.
Bill de Blasio: Fewer and fewer arrests, and crime goes down and down.
Bill de Blasio: The era of mass incarceration has ended in NYC.
Chris Coleman: Audit police response to alleged officer misconduct.
Cory Booker: ReLeSe: Pro bono legal services to ex-offenders.
Mike Bloomberg: Educate prisoners: build more classrooms at Rikers Island.
Rudy Giuliani: Home ownership decreases crime.
Rudy Giuliani: Need DNA Lab to Combat Crime.
Bill de Blasio: Sue Big Pharma for opioid addiction; open overdose centers.
Cory Booker: Community courts for minor crimes like drug possession.
Mark Begich: Prevent youth from trying the deadly drug methamphetamine.
Bill de Blasio: 75% of kids graduated High School; 59% went on to college.
Phil Gordon: City must partner with schools to assure excellence.
Mike Bloomberg: Slash bureaucracy; reward principal & teacher excellence.
Mike Bloomberg: End the shameful practice of social promotion.
Rudy Giuliani: Privatize failing schools.
Rudy Giuliani: Charter Schools create competition.
Rudy Giuliani: Voucher program for New York City.
Rudy Giuliani: Improve schools by taking on the unions & special interests.
Energy & Oil|
Bill de Blasio: Divest $5B from Big Oil; invest in renewable energy.
Annise Parker: We are the #1 municipal purchaser of renewable energy.
Cory Booker: Weatherize of 450 homes; free for seniors.
Bill de Blasio: Ban Styrofoam in NYC; plastic straws are next.
Annise Parker: Inner city should have necklace of parks and greenbelts.
Annise Parker: Rebuild Houston: tackle crumbling streets and drainage.
Cory Booker: Work with Urban Environmental Institute on solar technology.
Cory Booker: Save our environment while creating jobs and wealth.
Families & Children|
Bill de Blasio: Enforce paid sick leave for temp workers.
Bill de Blasio: Mandated up to ten days of Paid Personal Time every year.
Rudy Giuliani: Child Protection should move toward permanent foster homes.
Bill de Blasio: Let's get Big Money out of politics.
Bill de Blasio: Same-day registration and no-excuse vote by mail.
Mike Bloomberg: Put the issue of illegal guns back on the national agenda.
Bill de Blasio: Health care is a human right; fight for single-payer.
Bill de Blasio: MetroPlus: public option for every single New Yorker.
Tom Menino: Health care is a right, not a privilege.
Tom Menino: State should grant cities power to determine healthcare.
Cory Booker: Newark Rx: affordable medications for uninsured Newarkers.
Mike Bloomberg: Ban trans-fats and replace with fruit & vegetable vendors.
Bill de Blasio: Fight the inhumane detention of children at the border.
Annise Parker: Hire Houston First: local workers from local companies.
Mark Begich: Anchorage employment grew by 800 jobs since Jan. 2008.
Cory Booker: Passed laws on prevailing wage & large-scale firings.
Rudy Giuliani: Work is a good thing.
Principles & Values|
Chris Coleman: Vision of Cooperation, Responsibility and Respect.
Cory Booker: I believe in Newark as the city of opportunity.
Bill de Blasio: Fight the agenda of Trump tax giveaway to the wealthy.
Mike Bloomberg: $400 property tax rebate to all homeowners.
Bill de Blasio: Create premiere tech hubs, and create 4.5M jobs.
Mark Begich: Invest in Port of Anchorage & pedestrian-friendly downtown.
Mike Bloomberg: Wireless network for better NYPD and NYFD communications.
Rudy Giuliani: No privacy concerns with DNA-like fingerprinting.
War & Peace|
Rocky Anderson: Invasion and occupation of Iraq is unjustified.
Welfare & Poverty|
Bill de Blasio: More affordable housing than ever, and fewer homeless.
Cory Booker: Assist beneficiaries with earned income tax credit.
Rudy Giuliani: Welfare offices as job centers.
Rudy Giuliani: The homeless need special attention: reach out & help.
The above quotations are from 2008-2011 Mayoral State of the City addresses.
Related books, debates, and candidates:
- 2019 State of the Union speech, plus responses by the Democratic Party
- 2019 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2018 State of the Union speech, plus response by the Democratic Party
- 2018 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2017 State of the Union speech, plus response by the Democratic Party
- 2017 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2016 State of the Union speech
- 2016 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2015 State of the Union speech
- 2015 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2014 State of the Union speech, plus response by Green Party, Republican Party, and Tea Party
- 2014 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2013 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2013 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2012 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2012 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2011 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2011 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007-2011 Mayors' State of the City speeches
- 2010 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Obama Q+A at GOP House Retreat, Jan. 2010
- 2010 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Bob McDonnell (R, VA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2009 Address to Joint Session of Congress, plus response by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R, LA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2008 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Kathleen Sebelius (D, KS)
- 2008 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007 State of the Union speech, plus response by Sen. James Webb (D, VA)
- 2007 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2006 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Tim Kaine (D, VA)
- 2005 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Harry Reid (D, NV) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Tom Daschle (D, SD) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2001 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other early 2000s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other late 1990s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Historical State of the Union addresses: