Books by and about 2016 presidential candidates|
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Crippled America ,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
| American Dreams,|
by Marco Rubio (2015)
| Taking a Stand,|
by Rand Paul (2015)
by Scott Walker (2013)
| A Time for Truth,|
by Ted Cruz (2015)
| One Nation,|
by Ben Carson (2014)
| Trump/Pence vs. Clinton/Kaine On the Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Living History ,|
by Hillary Rodham Clinton (2003)
| Between Hope and History ,|
by Bill Clinton (1996)
| In Harm’s Way ,|
by Dr. Jill Stein (2000)
| Democrat vs. Republican vs. Green vs. Libertarian,|
Four Party's Presidential Nominees On The Issues (2016)
Books by and about 2012 presidential candidates|
| Ten Letters
about Pres. Barack Obama (2011)
| Do Not Ask What Good We Do
about Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2018 Michigan Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2018 MI Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Abdul El-Sayed (7) Michigan Democratic candidate for Governor
- Gretchen Whitmer (5) Michigan Republican
- Marcia Squier (32)
- Tim Walz (5) Minnesota Democratic candidate for Governor
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Michigan 2018 Gubernatorial debates and race coverage:
- The Detroit News, "Schuette embraces career experience as benefit," by Beth LeBlanc, July 25, 2018
- Detroit Free Press, "Civil rights commission rejects AG opinion on LGBT discrimination," by David Eggert, July 23, 2018
- MichiganRadio.org , "Schuette’s record on pollution under fire," by Lester Graham & Jim Malewitz, June 18, 2018
- MichiganRadio.org, "Checking in with the 2018 gubernatorial candidates: Bill Schuette," by Sophie Sherry, May 24, 2018
- Holland Sentinel, "A clear choice on tax cuts," by Bill Schuette, May 28, 2018
- BridgeMI.com, "Michigan governor candidates’ infrastructure policies," by Lindsay VanHulle, March 6, 2018
- The Nation, "El-Sayed would be the first Muslim-American governor in US history," by David Dayen, January 29, 2018
- Rewire News, "Candidate Vows to ‘Hold the Line' Against Anti-Choice Onslaught," by Ally Boguhn, Nov 1, 2017
- Mining Journal, "Gubernatorial candidate holds town hall meeting," by Mary Wardell, Oct 10, 2017
- Detroit Free Press, "Schuette shows support for Trump's immigration ban," by Robert Allen, January 31, 2017
- WWMT-Newschannel-3, "One on one with gubernatorial candidate Gretchen Whitmer," January 24 2017
- Lansing State Journal coverage of Gubernatorial race, 1/3/2017
- Detroit News, "Detroit health director set to make bid for governor," by Christine Ferretti, Feb. 9, 2017
- Detroit News, "Ex-Detroit health chief starts bid for Mich. governor," by Jennifer Chambers, Feb. 25, 2017
- Detroit Free Press, "Schuette sues companies in Flint water crisis," by Matthew Dolan and Paul Egan, June 22, 2016
- Detroit News, "PAC ad knocks Schuette for opposing clean energy plan," by Jim Lynch, November 6, 2015
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Gretchen Whitmer: Will stop anti-choice legislation.
Marcia Squier: Fund Planned Parenthood; abortion is an unrestricted right.
Gretchen Whitmer: No insurance riders to get an abortion covered.
Budget & Economy|
Marcia Squier: Stimulus counters ever-growing income inequality.
Gretchen Whitmer: Most important metric is rising family income.
Marcia Squier: Support affirmative action and reparations like urban repair.
Marcia Squier: Comfortable with same-sex marriage.
Abdul El-Sayed: Sensitive to women's rights and transgender people's rights.
Gretchen Whitmer: Shift tax burden to corporations.
Marcia Squier: End mass incarceration.
Gretchen Whitmer: Cleaned up County Prosecutor office after a sex scandal.
Marcia Squier: Cannabis is a life-saving drug and must be legalized.
Marcia Squier: Legalization will help utilize the endless benefits of pot.
Marcia Squier: Legalization of pot will help healthcare costs.
Marcia Squier: No vouchers for schools, but ok for colleges.
Marcia Squier: More funding needed for public schools; now more than ever.
Tim Walz: Recognized as the 2003 Minnesota Teacher of Excellence.
Energy & Oil|
Marcia Squier: Green energy is intertwined with job creation and education.
Marcia Squier: Fund renewables by defunding the military.
Marcia Squier: End the War on Oil, for national security AND environment.
Marcia Squier: EPA should regulate for-profit corporations.
Marcia Squier: Repeal the DARK Act: require full GMO labeling.
Abdul El-Sayed: Advocate for environmental justice on lead exposure.
Families & Children|
Abdul El-Sayed: Invest in Detroit to keep millennials in Michigan.
Marcia Squier: End our interventionist strategies, and welcome refugees.
Marcia Squier: We need to support our troops by bringing them home.
Marcia Squier: Replace free trade deals with zero export taxes.
Marcia Squier: Easier voter registration; restrict superdelegates.
Marcia Squier: Dem. superdelegates cheated Michigan voters of their choice.
Marcia Squier: Graduated licensing & training for guns, like military.
Marcia Squier: Expand ObamaCare towards universal health care.
Marcia Squier: Universal single-payer healthcare is the way to go.
Abdul El-Sayed: Public health suffers when you run government as a business.
Marcia Squier: Cut the military budget by at least 50%.
Marcia Squier: Reappropriate military spending to social needs.
Tim Walz: Enlisted in Army National Guard at 17; served for 24 years.
Tim Walz: Suicide prevention programs & mental health for veterans.
Marcia Squier: Support pathway to citizenship for illegal aliens.
Abdul El-Sayed: Biracial families like mine inspire more diverse government.
Abdul El-Sayed: People who look like me are not sitting on the sidelines.
Marcia Squier: Stop stiffing tipped worker wages!
Principles & Values|
Marcia Squier: Government should be separate from private religion.
Tim Walz: Got political when students were turned away from Bush event.
Marcia Squier: Strongly opposes privatizing Social Security.
Marcia Squier: Wealthiest get wealthier via tax loopholes.
War & Peace|
Marcia Squier: No more profit-driven interventionist military strikes.
Tim Walz: Served overseas in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
Marcia Squier: Refuse donations from the military-industrial complex.
Welfare & Poverty|
Abdul El-Sayed: Economic well-being means helping those less privileged.
The above quotations are from 2018 Michigan Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage.
2017-18 Governors' book excerpts:
- Power Lines, by Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter (D,GA)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- A Return to Values:, by Gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez (R,CO)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- A State of Opportunity, by Gubernatorial candidate Eliot Cutler (I,ME)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- In Mortal Danger, by 2014 gubernatorial candidate Tom Tancredo (R,CO)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- Last Line of Defense, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R,VA)