Books by and about 2016 presidential candidates|
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Crippled America ,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
| American Dreams,|
by Marco Rubio (2015)
| Taking a Stand,|
by Rand Paul (2015)
by Scott Walker (2013)
| A Time for Truth,|
by Ted Cruz (2015)
| One Nation,|
by Ben Carson (2014)
| Trump/Pence vs. Clinton/Kaine On the Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Living History ,|
by Hillary Rodham Clinton (2003)
| Between Hope and History ,|
by Bill Clinton (1996)
| In Harmís Way ,|
by Dr. Jill Stein (2000)
| Democrat vs. Republican vs. Green vs. Libertarian,|
Four Party's Presidential Nominees On The Issues (2016)
Books by and about 2012 presidential candidates|
| Ten Letters
about Pres. Barack Obama (2011)
| Do Not Ask What Good We Do
about Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Second Presidential Debate, Oct. 9, 2016, moderated by ABC News' Martha Raddatz and CNN's Anderson Cooper
This debate followed a few days after a years-old videotape was made public, in which Donald Trump talked about women, off-camera and off-color, with Billy Bush of Access Hollywood. Trump apologized for his remarks both prior to the debate and during the debate--and his surrogates dismissed the remarks as "locker room banter"--but many Republican officials have responded negatively:
- A new term -- disendorse -- has now entered the political lexicon. For example, former Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (R-CA) announced he will not vote for Trump, without saying that he would vote for anyone else nor endorse anyone else. Numerous conservative newspapers have similarly disendorsed Tump Ė declaring him unfit for office without endorsing Hillary or anyone else.
- Numerous Republican elected officials have rescinded their endorsement of Trump -- that means they previously announced their formal support of Trump but now will no longer speak in his favor nor campaign with him (again not necessarily saying who they WILL support or vote for). Dozens of Republican governors and members of Congress fall into this category.
- Among Trump's previous supporters, the new revelations have had little effect: they supported him already knowing that he spoke with the honesty of locker-room banter, and perhaps even appreciate his candor more, now that it has been made explicit. Analogously, among Hillary's supporters, the new revelations (and additional similar future revelations promised by the mainstream media) simply reinforced their already anti-Trump sentiment.
- Among undecided voters, according to the polls, this week's debate marked a stopping point in Trump's losses: he lost support among undecided voters in the period after the video came out and before the debate, but held his own in the debate itself, and is now stabilized (albeit at a lower support level).
- So what does all this mean for the election? As always, it comes down to the all-important still-undecided voters (now at about 5 million to 10 million). We don't believe that most voters care much about disendorsements or endorsements -- but The loss of Republican Party support is indicative of trouble for Trump on election day -- because the Republican Party officials are the people who run the "Get Out The Vote" (GOTV) effort. Even though Trump is doing okay among Republican VOTERS, he has seriously slipped among the Republican PARTY members. Here's why that matters:
- Every town or county in the country has a "Republican Town Committee" of low-level elected party offic
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Hillary Clinton: Appoint Supreme Court judges who will uphold Roe v Wade.
Budget & Economy|
Donald Trump: U.S. 1% growth is almost no growth, and due to high taxes.
Hillary Clinton: I voted to close corporate tax loopholes that Trump used.
Energy & Oil|
Hillary Clinton: FactCheck: US not yet quite energy-independent.
Donald Trump: EPA is killing energy companies; 1,000 years of clean coal.
Hillary Clinton: Be the 21st-century clean energy superpower.
Families & Children|
Donald Trump: I have great respect for women; despite locker-room talk.
Hillary Clinton: The Trump Effect: kids are uneasy and fearful.
Jill Stein: Syria invited Russia into war; don't threaten no-fly zone.
Bill Weld: Priority is not "no fly zone" but to stop killing in Aleppo.
Gary Johnson: A "No-Fly zone" means war; no regime change in Syria.
Hillary Clinton: Cooperate with Russia when possible & stand up when needed.
Hillary Clinton: Should admit carefully vetted war refugees on moral grounds.
Jill Stein: US helped create refugee crisis, so we should help them.
Donald Trump: China is dumping steel all over & killing steel companies.
Gary Johnson: Free trade means more jobs and lower prices.
Hillary Clinton: Trade prosecutor to deal with China illegally dumping steel.
Jill Stein: NAFTA destroyed jobs in US and Mexico.
Jill Stein: Supreme Court needs to be for the people and their rights.
Donald Trump: Appoint Supreme Court judges who respect 2nd amendment.
Hillary Clinton: Respect 2nd amendment but close loopholes.
Bill Weld: Tweak ObamaCare with more free market and more choices.
Donald Trump: ObamaCare will never work; repeal it and replace it.
Donald Trump: The whole of ObamaCare was a fraud.
Gary Johnson: US needs free market approach to health care, not government.
Hillary Clinton: ObamaCare benefits the insured as well as the uninsured.
Hillary Clinton: I'll fix ObamaCare; they'll repeal it.
Jill Stein: Medicare-for-all better & cheaper than ObamaCare.
Jill Stein: Don't take sides in Yemen; arms embargo instead.
Jill Stein: Warsaw Pact ended NATO's reason to exist, then NATO expanded.
Donald Trump: Replace a Muslim ban with an extreme vetting of Muslims.
Donald Trump: Muslims have to report terrorist problems when they see them.
Hillary Clinton: Work with Muslim countries against ISIS; not against Islam.
Jill Stein: Both scary: Hillary wants Syria war & Trump wants more nukes.
Donald Trump: Border agents endorsed me because I understand the border.
Gary Johnson: A ban based on religion violates our Constitution.
Gary Johnson: WRONG to deport 11 million undocumented from US.
Principles & Values|
Bill Weld: Hillary's "public and private view" makes her vulnerable.
Jill Stein: In private, Hillary is for wealthy, but not in public.
Donald Trump: Get a special prosecutor for email scandal to jail Hillary.
Hillary Clinton: Stronger Together: president for all Americans.
Hillary Clinton: I've produced results in my 30 years of public service.
Bill Weld: I am releasing my returns and Trump should release his.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: Cutting carried interest gains $18B in revenue.
Donald Trump: Get rid of carried interest and cut taxes big league.
Hillary Clinton: I have always been in favor of banning carried interest.
War & Peace|
Jill Stein: End policy of regime-change and military intervention.
Donald Trump: Unbelievable stupidity in our Mideast policy.
Hillary Clinton: Arm and support the Kurds against Assad.
Jill Stein: Stop bombing Muslims abroad and stop bashing them at home.
Mike Pence: FactCheck: Pence says pressure Assad; Trump focuses on ISIS.
The above quotations are from Second Presidential Debate, Oct. 9, 2016, moderated by ABC News' Martha Raddatz and CNN's Anderson Cooper.
2016 Presidential debates
- Third Presidential debate Oct. 19, 2016
- Second Presidential debate Oct. 9, 2016
- Vice Presidential debate Oct. 4, 2016
- First Presidential debate Sept. 26, 2016
Recent books by Primary contenders:
- Crippled America, by Donald J. Trump
- Outsider in the White House, by Bernie Sanders
- Never Enough: Trump and the Pursuit of Success, by Michael D'Antonio
- Excerpts from FeelTheBern.org, grassroots presidential campaign website
- Playing Bigger, Intro by Bernie Sanders
- Milk Money, Intro by Bernie Sanders
- American Dynasty: The House of Bush, by Kevin Phillips
- Bella's Gift, by Sen. Rick Santorum (R, PA)
- One Nation, by Ben Carson (R, MD)
- American Dreams, by Sen. Marco Rubio (R, FL)
- God, Guns, Grits, and Gravy, by Gov. Mike Huckabee (R, AR)
- Think Like a Champion, by CEO Donald Trump (R, NY)
- Tough Choices, by CEO Carly Fiorina (R, CA)
- Blue Collar Conservatives, by Sen. Rick Santorum (R, PA)
- The Way Forward, by Rep. Paul Ryan (R, WI)
- Unintimidated, by Gov. Scott Walker (R, WI)
- Outsider in the House, by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I, VT)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- All Things Possible, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D, NY)
- Take the Risk, by Dr. Ben Carson (R, MD)
- American Enterprise Institute columns, by Amb. John Bolton
- Obama is Endangering our Sovereignty, by John Bolton
- Surrender is Not an Option, by John Bolton
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Sen. Rand Paul
- Chris Christie: The Inside Story of His Rise to Power
- Teachers Under Attack, biography of Chris Christie
- The Jersey Sting, biography of Chris Christie
- Young Guns, by Rep. Paul Ryan
- What Will It Take to Make A Woman President?, by Marianne Schnall
- A More Perfect Unison, by Dr. Ben Carson
- One Vote, by Dr. Ben Carson
- In Harms Way, by Jill Stein
- Quotations from Speaker Newt, by Newt Gingrich
- The Two-Income Trap, by Elizabeth Warren
Page last edited: Nov 29, 2016