Books by and about 2016 presidential candidates|
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Crippled America ,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
| American Dreams,|
by Marco Rubio (2015)
| Taking a Stand,|
by Rand Paul (2015)
by Scott Walker (2013)
| A Time for Truth,|
by Ted Cruz (2015)
| One Nation,|
by Ben Carson (2014)
| Trump/Pence vs. Clinton/Kaine On the Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Living History ,|
by Hillary Rodham Clinton (2003)
| Between Hope and History ,|
by Bill Clinton (1996)
| In Harmís Way ,|
by Dr. Jill Stein (2000)
| Democrat vs. Republican vs. Green vs. Libertarian,|
Four Party's Presidential Nominees On The Issues (2016)
Books by and about 2012 presidential candidates|
| Ten Letters
about Pres. Barack Obama (2011)
| Do Not Ask What Good We Do
about Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Survey of 2016 Gubernatorial campaign websites
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from Gubernatorial campaign websites (number of quotes indicated):
- Bill Bryant (8) Washington Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Bill Cole (3) West Virginia Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Bob Niemeyer (4) Oregon Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Brad Johnson (4) Montana Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Bruce Lisman (8) Vermont Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Bud Pierce (12) Oregon Republican Gubernatorial candidate
- Catherine Hanaway (2) Missouri Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Chris Koster (4) Missouri Democratic challenger for Governor
- Chris Sununu (1) New Hampshire Republican challenger for Governor
- Colin Van Ostern (4) New Hampshire Democratic candidate for Governor
- Doug Burgum (3) North Dakota Republican candidate for Governor
- Eric Greitens (11) Missouri Republican Governor (resigned)
- Greg Gianforte (5) Montana Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Jim Justice (9) West Virginia Democratic nominee for governor
- John Brunner (5) Missouri Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- John Carney (1) Delaware Democratic candidate for Governor
- John Gregg (11) Indiana Democratic 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Jon Lavoie (3) New Hampshire Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Jonathan Johnson (7) Utah Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Julian Bell (9) Oregon Democratic 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Ken Spaulding (10) North Carolina Democratic 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Mark Connolly (4) New Hampshire Democratic 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Mark Perea (7) Montana Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Matt Dunne (3) Vermont Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Mike Weinholtz (13) Utah Democratic candidate for Governor
- Peter Kinder (7) Missouri Republican challenger for Governor
- Phil Scott (2) Vermont Republican challenger for Governor
- Ralph Northam (17) Virginia Democratic 2017 Gubernatorial candidate
- Ray Lesniak (7) New Jersey Democratic 2017 Gubernatorial candidate
- Rick Becker (4) North Dakota Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Roy Cooper (7) North Carolina Democratic 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Steve Bullock (1) Montana Democratic Governor
- Steve Fulop (7) New Jersey Democratic 2017 Gubernatorial candidate
- Sue Minter (8) Vermont Democratic 8Gubernatorial candidate
- Vicki Slater (7) Mississippi Democratic 2015 Gubernatorial candidate (lost primary)
- Wayne Stenehjem (3) North Dakota Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Mike Weinholtz: I fully support a woman's constitutional right to choose.
John Brunner: Fight back against judges dictating values on our churches.
Julian Bell: Easy access to effective birth control & abortion.
Bud Pierce: Accessible contraceptives & family planning services.
Jon Lavoie: Pro-choice because it's none of my business.
Ralph Northam: Led fight against transvaginal ultrasound requirement.
Eric Greitens: Every life is precious; defend & promote life.
Mark Perea: Defend the right to life of the unborn.
Ralph Northam: Keep abortion funding for women carrying fetal abnormalities.
Ralph Northam: Opposes restrictive TRAP laws & dangerous personhood bill.
Budget & Economy|
Jim Justice: Limit lawmaker pay to 5 work days for any special session.
Bruce Lisman: Bring government spending in line with revenue.
Brad Johnson: Revitalize our traditional economic base.
Peter Kinder: Make Missouri competitive again, by cutting spending.
Rick Becker: Reverse the trend of imprudent & increasing spending.
Bud Pierce: Cut growth in state budget by half.
Eric Greitens: Government over-regulates, over-spends, & over-reaches.
Ray Lesniak: Evolved from supporter of LGBT rights to an advocate.
Colin Van Ostern: Keep NH as model for treating LGBTQ community with dignity.
Mark Connolly: Fight for rights of our LGBT friends, families & neighbors.
Mike Weinholtz: Equal pay laws end illegal wage discrimination against women.
Sue Minter: Economic security for women via livable wages and equal pay.
Peter Kinder: No federal say over trans-gendered bathroom laws.
John Gregg: Supports equal pay for equal work.
John Gregg: Civil rights statute should support sexual orientation.
Jonathan Johnson: Marriage is between a man and a woman.
Julian Bell: Treat others how you would be treated, including gays.
Ralph Northam: Tie-breaking vote against gay workplace discrimination.
Steve Fulop: Hung rainbow flag on City Hall when gay marriage legalized.
Chris Koster: Equality and inclusion should include same-sex couples.
Ken Spaulding: Oppose Amendment One; marriage equality will be upheld.
Vicki Slater: Mandates equal pay for women.
Mark Perea: No government-sanctioned marriages; it's a private matter.
Roy Cooper: Same-sex marriage opt-out is likely unconstitutional.
Ralph Northam: Treat same-sex couples equally and fairly under the law.
Bill Bryant: Building a company taught me about living within a budget.
Greg Gianforte: BootStrapping for Businesses: mentors entrepreneurs.
Ray Lesniak: Hundreds wrongfully convicted have likely been executed.
John Carney: Rehabilitating offenders is key to safer communities.
Colin Van Ostern: Restore matching funds for victims of domestic violence.
John Gregg: Push community policing through federal COPS resources.
John Gregg: Transparent investigations of deadly force incidents.
Mike Weinholtz: Fully fund indigent defense; protect 6th Amendment rights.
Bill Bryant: End unlawful early release of prisoners.
Wayne Stenehjem: Launched state's sex offender website.
Steve Fulop: Citizen complaints against police--and crime--are way down.
Bob Niemeyer: Death penalty is less cruel to families of victims.
Eric Greitens: Get first responders needed training, equipment, & support.
Chris Koster: Deliver justice to those who break our laws.
Peter Kinder: Preserve law & order, even when there are riots & looting.
Roy Cooper: Seniors should be more suspicious of solicitors.
Ralph Northam: Spare our first responders from devastating budget cuts.
Ray Lesniak: Drug courts make our community safer, and save money.
Mike Weinholtz: Treat addiction & mental illness, instead of incarceration.
Sue Minter: Addicts need treatment, not jail time.
Bill Cole: People who sell drugs belong in jail.
Bruce Lisman: Decriminalization, but not legalization, of recreational pot.
Matt Dunne: Create a trusted Vermont brand of legalized marijuana.
Wayne Stenehjem: Make drug enforcement a priority.
Jim Justice: Three-pronged attack to go after the drug runners.
Jim Justice: Support the expansion of drug courts.
Jon Lavoie: Fund heroin interdiction, but fund treatment too.
Jon Lavoie: Learn from Colorado and collect marijuana tax dollars.
Roy Cooper: Tackle meth labs by restricting key ingredients.
Ray Lesniak: Invest in education, for the future of our society.
Bill Bryant: Fully fund education; give principals & teachers flexibility.
Colin Van Ostern: Increase young women and girls in STEM school programs.
Mike Weinholtz: Increase school funding for K-12, more than 3%.
Mike Weinholtz: Promote trade schools; more publicly-funded college.
Bill Bryant: Fully funding education so every kid graduates with skills.
Sue Minter: Universal pre-K via public-private partnerships.
John Brunner: Reject federal Common Core standards.
Bruce Lisman: Give school districts flexibility on resources and spending.
Mark Connolly: Future of NH built on pillars of education & innovation.
Greg Gianforte: Provides high school scholarships for computer coding.
Jonathan Johnson: Common Core runs counter to family & local control.
Julian Bell: Teachers should be paid well.
Rick Becker: Replace Common Core with local parent & teacher control.
Bud Pierce: We need motivated, well-trained teachers.
Jim Justice: Pay our teachers what they're worth, to attract the best.
Ralph Northam: Federal grant to create 3,000 pre-K education spots.
Steve Fulop: Returned city public school system from state control.
Bob Niemeyer: Common Core creates a putrid educational system.
Eric Greitens: Strongly oppose Common Core; no bureaucrats in charge.
Chris Koster: 2007: Left GOP to support high-quality public schools.
Peter Kinder: Fight for school choice & charter schools.
Ken Spaulding: Treat public school teachers as professionals, & raise pay.
Vicki Slater: Vouchers drain money from the public schools.
John Gregg: Work with teachers & Superintendent of Public Instruction.
Mark Perea: Outlaw Common Core: no federal involvement in education.
Roy Cooper: Teachers deserve better pay and basic respect.
Ralph Northam: Historically strong commitment to public education.
Energy & Oil|
Mike Weinholtz: Foolish to think coal & oil will continue to power the globe.
Roy Cooper: Supports Renewable Energy Portfolio Standard.
Bruce Lisman: Moratorium on industrial scale solar and wind projects.
Brad Johnson: EPA carbon emission rules cripple the Montana coal industry.
Julian Bell: Change energy practices to reduce atmospheric CO2.
Bud Pierce: End low-carbon fuel mandate: 19 cents-a-gallon hidden tax.
Jim Justice: Promote new uses for central Appalachian coal.
Ken Spaulding: Climate change is a reality that will grow over the years.
Mark Perea: Use all resources, such as coal, oil, wind, gas, and solar.
Ralph Northam: We must act to address climate change.
Ray Lesniak: Champion animal rights for both pets & wild animals.
John Gregg: Reducing air pollution reduces healthcare costs for decades.
Mike Weinholtz: Air polluters know they are unlikely to be caught.
Sue Minter: Protect our state's waters, farmland, and forests.
Bruce Lisman: Restore our lakes and protect our ridgelines.
Wayne Stenehjem: Sue EPA to block "Waters of the US" land control.
Jonathan Johnson: Air quality retains and attracts business.
Julian Bell: Intrinsic value of biodiversity, wilderness, and clean air.
Sue Minter: Led efforts in Climate Preparedness & catastrophic flooding.
Bud Pierce: Maintain forestlands through proper forest management.
Steve Fulop: Take the fight to the polluters: they pay FULL cleanup cost.
Eric Greitens: EPA overreach hurts family farms.
Chris Sununu: Worked as engineer cleaning up hazardous waste sites.
Ken Spaulding: Clean water and clean air are essential for vitality.
Ken Spaulding: Defend against those who put profit over environment.
Mark Perea: Sustainable development assaults our property rights.
Ralph Northam: I reject idea that environmental regulations harm economy.
Families & Children|
Matt Dunne: Paid leave insurance policy to fund FMLA maternity leave.
Bud Pierce: Alleviate the scourge of sex trafficking.
John Gregg: Unified strategy to promote Hoosier brand worldwide.
Mike Weinholtz: More restrictive campaign finance laws are necessary.
Jim Justice: Ban fundraising while the legislature is in session.
Sue Minter: Call for transparency and accountability in state agencies.
John Brunner: Eliminate inefficient, outdated and ineffective programs.
Mark Connolly: Fight against unregulated, unlimited campaign money.
Greg Gianforte: Eliminate excessive regulations that burden businesses.
Doug Burgum: Pledge to support term limits.
Julian Bell: Citizens United takes free speech away from people.
Jim Justice: No contributions to legislators during legislative sessions.
Bob Niemeyer: Go back to voting in person, with verified photo ID.
Eric Greitens: Ban gifts from lobbyists; close revolving door; limit terms.
Ken Spaulding: Voter ID law is really a Voter Suppression law.
Ralph Northam: Mid-decade redistricting bill is borderline corruption.
Ray Lesniak: Ban 50-caliber bullets & assault weapons.
Sue Minter: Gun violence has reached a crisis point; more gun safety.
Catherine Hanaway: Right to bear arms differentiates America as a free nation.
Bruce Lisman: Protect the Vermont Sportsmen's Bill of Rights.
Greg Gianforte: Lifetime member of the NRA.
Bud Pierce: Oppose background checks; they won't reduce gun violence.
Bud Pierce: Surveillance of schools & social media, to curb gun violence.
Brad Johnson: 2nd Amendment is central to preservation of our liberty.
Jonathan Johnson: Protect right to own and carry guns.
Julian Bell: Guns make people less safe because they're designed to kill.
Rick Becker: Uphold the Second Amendment.
Eric Greitens: Defend right of law-abiding citizens to bear arms.
Peter Kinder: Led fight to pass right to carry law.
Vicki Slater: I know the value of our Second Amendment rights.
Vicki Slater: Strengthen law enforcement to reduce gun violence.
Mark Perea: Without 2nd Amendment, tyranny would reign.
Ralph Northam: Keep guns out of the hands of criminals & the mentally ill.
Mike Weinholtz: Full Medicaid expansion & access to preventative care.
Sue Minter: Focus on containing costs in Vermont Health Connect.
John Brunner: Spur competition instead of ObamaCare.
Steve Bullock: Worked with legislature to expand Medicaid.
Bruce Lisman: Repeal the mandate to purchase insurance.
Greg Gianforte: Provide for those who cannot provide for themselves.
Doug Burgum: Pledge to oppose Obamacare.
Bud Pierce: Subsidize "adequate" insurance for low-income Oregonians.
Bud Pierce: Fight any one-size-fits-all single-payer healthcare system.
Ralph Northam: Proud voice in favor of Medicaid expansion.
Peter Kinder: Led lawsuit by 21 states against ObamaCare.
Phil Scott: Affordable health care? Yes; single-payer? No.
Chris Koster: ObamaCare generates jobs as well as cuts healthcare costs.
Ken Spaulding: ObamaCare has opened door to decent & affordable healthcare.
Vicki Slater: Insuring all Mississippians will save lives & money.
Mark Perea: Shift away from one-size-fits-all ObamaCare.
Roy Cooper: Take federal funds to expand Medicaid.
Ralph Northam: Medicaid expansion will save taxpayers billions.
John Gregg: Increase federal vet benefits by 10%, plus state services.
Bill Cole: Honor and support military as guardians of our freedoms.
Bud Pierce: State duty to honor the sacrifice of those who've served.
Jonathan Johnson: Endorse Ted Cruz as strong champion for national defense.
Jonathan Johnson: I know plight of refugees; but no Syrians.
Peter Kinder: Keep Guantanamo open; terrorists are not typical criminals.
Bill Bryant: Don't let compassion blind us on Syrian refugees.
Jim Justice: Exempt military retirees from the state income tax.
Steve Fulop: End veteran homelessness.
Eric Greitens: Make Missouri the best state in America for veterans.
Ken Spaulding: Free tuition at community colleges for veterans.
Vicki Slater: Effort on home front in support of effort on battlefront.
Ralph Northam: Strengthen Virginia's relationship with the Armed Services.
Catherine Hanaway: Work against improper enforcement of our immigration laws.
Bill Bryant: Make sure Syrians are not dangerous before allowing them in.
Ralph Northam: Work with federal government to enforce immigration laws.
Ray Lesniak: Job creation by career fairs & keeping existing employers.
Mark Connolly: Ensure women receive equal pay for equal work.
Mike Weinholtz: Raise the minimum wage to fight against poverty.
Julian Bell: Some day give women equal pay for equal work.
Bud Pierce: Vigilance in enforcing Equal Pay laws for women.
Vicki Slater: Raise minimum wage; working full time should avoid poverty.
John Gregg: Attract, retain and support businesses that pay living wages.
Principles & Values|
Bob Niemeyer: Separating church & state doesn't pull God out of government.
Eric Greitens: Protect the religious liberties of all Missourians.
Steve Fulop: Keep our promises: made city pension system more secure.
Ken Spaulding: Keep your hands off of our social security.
Colin Van Ostern: Reduce property taxes by funding schools at state level.
Mike Weinholtz: Convert 5% flat tax rate to progressive tax & raise $179M.
Jim Justice: Don't tax people to death; rein in government by attrition.
Bill Bryant: Reduced property taxes as Seattle port commission.
Bruce Lisman: Stop taxing retirement benefits & other new taxes & fees.
Doug Burgum: Shrink government and stop property tax hikes.
Jonathan Johnson: I will not raise taxes as governor.
Brad Johnson: Montanans' hard earned dollars don't belong to government.
Julian Bell: Decreasing taxes on the rich has made rich people richer.
Rick Becker: Flatten and simplify personal income tax.
Eric Greitens: Simplify the tax code; close special interest loopholes.
Phil Scott: Property taxes shouldn't grow faster than property values.
Roy Cooper: 2013 tax reforms helped only the rich & corporations.
John Gregg: $16B for water projects via Infrastructure Bank.
Mike Weinholtz: Incentives to walk, bike, or take public transportation.
Bill Cole: Recommends action--not more studies--on transportation.
Ken Spaulding: Transportation infrastructure protects environment & jobs.
John Gregg: Build roads & bridges, as well as broadband capacity.
Ralph Northam: Transportation bill including investments in mass transit.
Welfare & Poverty|
Bill Bryant: Grandparents came West in poverty, escaping the Dust Bowl.
John Brunner: Make welfare temporary, not permanent.
Steve Fulop: Four times as much affordable housing in his administration.
Eric Greitens: Current welfare system is broken; it traps people in poverty.
Matt Dunne: Guide corporate partnerships with nonprofit & public sectors.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Bill Bryant Washington Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Bill Cole West Virginia Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Bob Niemeyer Oregon Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Brad Johnson Montana Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Bruce Lisman Vermont Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Bud Pierce Oregon Republican Gubernatorial candidate
- Catherine Hanaway Missouri Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Chris Koster Missouri Democratic challenger for Governor
- Chris Sununu New Hampshire Republican challenger for Governor
- Colin Van Ostern New Hampshire Democratic candidate for Governor
- Doug Burgum North Dakota Republican candidate for Governor
- Eric Greitens Missouri Republican Governor (resigned)
- Greg Gianforte Montana Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Jim Justice West Virginia Democratic nominee for governor
- John Brunner Missouri Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- John Carney Delaware Democratic candidate for Governor
- John Gregg Indiana Democratic 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Jon Lavoie New Hampshire Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Jonathan Johnson Utah Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Julian Bell Oregon Democratic 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Ken Spaulding North Carolina Democratic 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Mark Connolly New Hampshire Democratic 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Mark Perea Montana Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Matt Dunne Vermont Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Mike Weinholtz Utah Democratic candidate for Governor
- Peter Kinder Missouri Republican challenger for Governor
- Phil Scott Vermont Republican challenger for Governor
- Ralph Northam Virginia Democratic 2017 Gubernatorial candidate
- Ray Lesniak New Jersey Democratic 2017 Gubernatorial candidate
- Rick Becker North Dakota Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Roy Cooper North Carolina Democratic 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Steve Bullock Montana Democratic Governor
- Steve Fulop New Jersey Democratic 2017 Gubernatorial candidate
- Sue Minter Vermont Democratic 8Gubernatorial candidate
- Vicki Slater Mississippi Democratic 2015 Gubernatorial candidate (lost primary)
- Wayne Stenehjem North Dakota Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
The above quotations are from Survey of 2016 Gubernatorial campaign websites.
2014-15 Governors' book excerpts:
- Power Lines, by Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter (D,GA)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- A Return to Values:, by Gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez (R,CO)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- A State of Opportunity, by Gubernatorial candidate Eliot Cutler (I,ME)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- In Mortal Danger, by 2014 gubernatorial candidate Tom Tancredo (R,CO)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- Last Line of Defense, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R,VA)